Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

03 5032 9677

The Comfort Inn Lady Augusta - rated the #1 motel in Swan Hill by our customers on TripAdvisor!

lady augusta team outdoor shot 1000px.jpg

Motels in Swan Hill: About Comfort Inn Lady Augusta

Learn more about the Comfort Inn Lady Augusta - rated the #1 motel in Swan Hill by our customers on TripAdvisor! Now Swan Hill's newest 4 star motel! 

Our mission: provide each guest with a relaxing, comfortable and stress-free stay.

Guests (and locals!) often ask about the origin of the name Lady Augusta. Here's the answer.

Who was Lady Augusta? 

In fact, you should ask "what" was Lady Augusta. The answer...

From Wikipedia: The lack of an estuary means that shipping cannot enter the Murray River from the sea. However, in the 19th century the river supported a substantial commercial trade using shallow-draft paddle steamers, the first trips being made by two boats from South Australia on the spring flood of 1853.

The Lady Augusta, captained by Francis Cadell, reached Swan Hill while another, Mary Ann, captained by William Randell, made it as far as Moama (near Echuca).

In 1855 a steamer carrying gold-mining supplies reached Albury but Echuca was the usual turn-around point though small boats continued to link with up-river ports such as Tocumwal, Wahgunya and Albury.

The arrival of steamboat transport was welcomed by pastoralists who had been suffering from a shortage of transport due to the demands of the gold fields. By 1860 a dozen steamers were operating in the high water season along the Murray and its tributaries. Once the railway reached Echuca in 1864, the bulk of the woolclip from the Riverina was transported via river to Echuca and then south to Melbourne.

Sunset at the historic Swan Hill bridge which connects Swan Hill with Murray Downs.

"the first trips being made by two boats from South Australia on the spring flood of 1853. The Lady Augusta, captained by Francis Cadell, reached Swan Hill while another, Mary Ann, captained by William Randell."